Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Routerless Guitar Construction

I hate using a router, plain and simple!  I developed a method in which no router has to be used to assemble a solid body electric guitar.  I'm fairly certain I am not the one to pioneer this method.  I put it together in Google Sketchup and made jpeg images of the process.  I'll update this post as I create new jpegs...enjoy!
This first jpeg is of how I cut out the shapes, two from 1.5" thickness wood (your choice) and one from .25" thickness wood for the Truss Rod channel.
These pieces are then glued together and clamped.
After I plane the wing to 1.25" thickness, I cut out the shape on the band saw and add this right wing onto the existing configuration.  Note: I found it very beneficial to clamp the uncut board first, then use a jigsaw to cut the final shape.
The left wing added in the same fashion and the little illegible text says to use a wood chisel to create this channel for humbucker wiring installation.

I used neck and headstock templates created on CAD and cut this shape out using a jigsaw.
This view is of the home made truss rod installed and the text proclaims that the part at the headstock will need to be chiseled to fit the nut.
This view depicts the addition of the top of the guitar using .25" material (again, your choice).  All of the cut outs are just that, cut out and not routered (is that even a word?).
This is a shot of the fingerboard installed.  More, later...

No comments:

Post a Comment